Ampléfest 2008

Ampléfest 2008
1st Annual Amplified Music Festival Extravaganza on November 14th!

Monday, September 15, 2008

Bajofondo: Mar Dulce


What's more exhilarating, more intoxicating, and sexier than Latin dance? Nothing. Period. I listen to my fair share of American and European electronica; anything that makes me bob my head and tap my foot. But never in my life have I felt the need to get up out of my vinyl blue chair, fly to Argentina, find a sexy Argentinian lady, and do the tango. I have always wanted to feel this need, and up until a week ago, I thought this desire was unattainable. But then, in a miraculous moment, the Music God heard my prayers, and sent to me, Bajofondo!

Bajofondo is a group of producers and musicians, led by Gustavo Santaolalla (a mega producer who has contributed to the music in films such as The Insider and Babel), whose objective is to seamlessly blend tango with modern electronica. This fusion of styles creates an uplifting, invigorating sound. The tracks combine traditional acoustic instruments (accordian, piano, and violin) with programmed beats and sampling, as well as vocals on some tracks. Nelly Furtado, Julieta Venegas, and Elvis Costello are all featured on "Mar Dulce." The album opens up with "Grand Guignol," a drum n' bass driven song that shifts effortlessly from booming piano chords to a tasteful accordian solo, with a drum track pumping all the way through. This tune sets the stage for the rest of "Mar Dulce," which never loses its edge and never produces anything but sheer brilliance. "Ya No Duele" and "Pa' Bailar" will rock any party, that is, if you party with people that have good taste, and "El Mareo" and "Pulmon" will soothe your earbuds, that is, if you have good taste.

Welcome electronic tango into your world of music. Not only will you be amazed by the album but Bajofondo will expand your horizons and get you listening to music you never thought you would be listening to.

No comments: